Thursday, 23 June 2011

Mock halter dress plans

I have in my possession an extensive pattern stash of modern patterns from the four big companies, as a result of my time working in a fabric shop. The majority are discontinued designs that were no longer allowed to be sold as shop stock. I must easily have over a hundred of these; I've never actually counted them. On flicking through, I came across this Simplicity pattern:

Simplicity 2981
View B (bottom left) is knee-length, with a mock-wrap front and godets to the skirt, and has a vintage-inspired feel to it. I like to use patterns already in my stash where possible, adapting a close design to what I want rather than spending on a new pattern. This pattern would easily alter to a mock-halter style, which I find more flattering on myself than the existing shape might be.

Some vintage patterns this style:

I think I might also swap the sash for a self-fabric or contrast colour belt for a more tailored 50s feel, and add the large patch pockets often seen on 50s era dresses. For fabric, I have decided on this cotton poplin:


Despite red having been my favourite colour for years, I don't own a red dress. It's time I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment