Sunday, 31 July 2011

1950s Jumper Dress

My latest project for the little one was this vintage repro pattern from Bramcost Publications, given away as a freebie on their blog recently:


Described as the "Grows With Her" dress, it is designed so that the tie straps and deep hem can be adjusted with your child, and the dress will fit from ages 2 to 5.  With just a slightly deeper hem, I made it to fit my one year old!


The fabric, a cotton seersucker plaid in rainbow colours, was salvaged from a previous unfinished project that had languished in a box for about 4 years (along with a dozen other projects in similar states). Because of this I had to cut the skirt in 4 sections instead of two, but thanks to my obsessive pattern matching when working with patterned fabrics like this you can barely tell.


Back view

I tied the straps towards the back because of the amount of excess, which is a slight issue at the moment but I'm sure she'll need them adjusting before I know it! The one alteration to the pattern I did make was the addition of a strip of buttonhole elastic inside the top edge of the back of the dress to help prevent it gaping while she is small. This was concealed between the bodice and lining layers, with access to the buttons provided by leaving an open gap of 1" in the lining side seams.

Picking flowers

1 comment:

  1. oh my goodness I am so bummed I missed the free pattern give away earlier this year ... and didn't think anything of it until I stumbled across your post and saw just how cute your little one looks in it!! Such lovely fabric too :)

    Take care and happy sewing, Sarah x

    ReplyDelete