Saturday, 23 July 2011

The need for separates

Having now gone through most of my list of planned dresses and pulled old ones out of the back of the wardrobe to where they had been banished for the last two years, I feel the need to move on to some seperates. After another clothing purge, I have two huge bags of things to donate to charity and relatively little left in my drawers. I hadn't realised my clothes were in such a sorry state until I was greeted by this sight!

First, I feel the need for a new basic black skirt. My past favourite is looking a little tired and faded, being a few years old and worn to death in all seasons. As it was only a high-street cheapy (and possibly a hand-me-down) I have no hesitations in picking it apart to make a pattern for a future re-make. My new skirt shall be a 50s inspired self drafted number, with 6 gores, side-seam pockets and hitting just below the knee. I plan to make it with a fancy high waistband, something like this:

Skirt with scalloped waistband, circa 1950

Next up is a new pattern PDF, purchased from La Prairie Lady on Etsy who has various 50s top patterns in this form. I love the tie-waist detail on this halter, though if I were to tackle the embroidery too it might not be finished until next summer. 

In an ideal world, I would love one of these from Pinup Couture:

The 'Doris' top in white

This stlye neckline is something I've found to very very flattering on my figure in the past, and this double-collared version is that bit more unusual. I will likely make something similar, although with a shorter sleeve with a turned-back peaked cuff.

A quick dig through my pattern stash may shed light on some others as I go, but this is a good enough start for now I think. Next step: choose fabrics for these three!

4 comments:

  1. I was looking at that exact halter pattern this week! Not keen on gored skirts like that, a lot of my vintage 50s dress patterns have them but I don't like the way they look on me for some reason, much prefer a full circle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't mind them, the one I'll be using is nearly full circle anyway. Just used it on a dress I finished today and it hangs nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a cute top.

    They used to have embroidered appliques, would something like that look good on the halter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks.

    If I could find the right one, then definitely it could be an option. Though in the time it would take for me to find the right applique it would probably be as easy to just bite the bullet and do the embroidery myself!

    ReplyDelete