Wednesday, 1 February 2012

The 'Rainbow Jungle' quilt

Today I have something a little different to share. Shortly before Christmas, I finally finished up my daughter's cot quilt. This was started when I was just four or five months into my pregnancy. Yes, this honestly took me the better part of two years to do! I settled on a simple sunshine and shadow pattern, and started collecting up fabrics with a jungle/ animal theme, in a full rainbow of colours.


 There's something incredibly tedious about cutting out a hundred-odd squares without a rotary cutter.

Teal fleece backing and a tiger pillowcase from my own childhood bedding!


The filling is polyester wadding for ease of washing, and I backed it with fleece for extra warmth. In the end I hand quilted it since the fleece backing was stretching out of shape on the machine. Maybe one day I'll give in and invest in a walking foot for my machine.  I gave the hand-crank Jones machine a brief outing to sew the binding. It was nice to have the opportunity to test her out properly, and she did the job nicely.

Sewing the binding

Finally, a couple of shots to show the fabric details. There ended up being a lot of different fabrics in this quilt because of the number of colour groups, but Little One loves pointing out all the animals and growling at the numerous tigers and leopards.




No comments:

Post a Comment