Saturday, 17 March 2012

A touch of the tropical

Our first day of real warm weather finally arrived today, and it put me in the mood for sewing something equally bright and cheerful. I set aside the '40s trousers; today is not the day for sewing black twill, and came up with this simple bateau-neck tropical blouse.

I drafted the pattern a couple of days ago using Casey's tutorial from last summer, using a modern McCall's shirt pattern as my base: a very quick and simple job. The fabric is a cotton print I pulled from the stash- I'd forgotten it was even there! This one was a remnant bought a good four or five years ago that's languished ever since.




I did have to make a couple of fitting alterations to it. As always with sleeveless blouses on me, it was gaping at the sides above the bust, so I added an extra bust dart sloping upwards towards the armpit. I also added darts the the back neckline, though lowering the edge may have worked just as well. 

Back neck darts

It closes at the side with a lapped zipper. I'm getting good at these!




The upper edges and hem are finished with purchased bias binding in cream. On the upper edge, I finished the top edges of front and back first, then bound the underarm edges, leaving a 12" tail of binding at each end to form the tie-straps.




 I briefly considered going back and taking the front darts in a little, but I'll likely never do it. I'll always wear it tucked in anyway so I think it will be fine as it is. I love these one afternoon projects- instant sewing gratification.



 

2 comments:

  1. It's really lovely - I may have to shamelessly copy you, especially if it only takes an afternoon to make! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Go for it- the actual sewing was only about 3 or 4 hours. A nice bit of relief in between trouser fittings.

      Delete