I did a quick stash raid to see what suitable fabrics I had; lots, as it turns out! There are so many half-metres and remnant pieces of lightweight cottons that need using up but aren't enough for grown-up sized clothes. For a pattern, I traced one from an existing set. The top was adapted by tracing round a t-shirt only to an inch below the armscye, then using a large rectangle for the gathered lower half. I also spread the sleeve pattern to make it a puff sleeve.
The fabrics for these are a plain purple polycotton, and purple and white cotton floral print. I added a narrow ruffle of the floral print around the trouser legs to tie the two pieces together.
The trousers have a simple elasticated waist, which I did in a different way to usual. Rather than make a casing and thread the elastic through, I stitched the elastic to the right side, matching the edges and stitching close to the edge. I then turned it to the inside twice, fully enclosing the elastic. The finish this way is much neater, and eliminates the chance of the elastic twisting.
And, since Karen asked us to share our bedtime reading too, here is Panda patiently waiting for us to read Aliens Love Underpants. A newly acquired read from the charity shop, it had little one giggling at all the underpants on show!
I still have a stack of fabrics waiting behind the machine to whip up another couple of sets. Bring on the spots and strawberries!