I finished up the Top Honours jumper I'd been knitting. As I mentioned in my previous post on it, I ran out of white for the contrast, which had come from mum's stash, so I took it with me when I visited earlier in the month and finished it up there.
This pattern is from the early '40s, and has a slip-stitched pattern across the yoke and sleeves.
I quite enjoyed making this one up. The grey yarn was a charity shop find that is acrylic, with possibly a small amount of wool in it. I knit the body in the round up to the armscyes, which of course made it go faster: I knit much more slowly on purl rows. From there I changed to straight needles, and also went down a needle size to tighten up the tension across the yoke and make it a little smaller to account for my quite narrow shoulders. I also added a shoulder opening on the left side with a row of buttons to make sure I could get it over my head!
I chose simple white pearl plastic buttons for the shoulder fastening. and did four rows of garter stitch picked up along each shoulder edge to make the placket:
The skirt is made from a wool/poly blend suiting in a lovely dark burgundy and black small check. I used my self drafted half-circle skirt pattern, added a wide waistband and straps. The straps are sewn onto the back of the waistband, cross over at the back and button onto the front waist. I also added side-seam pockets. Since I've started adding pockets to skirts I get really frustrated if I wear one that doesn't have them.
Naturally, it wouldn't be possible to go through a project without some sort of cock-up. I forgot to check the width of my lining, so didn't buy enough! Ordinary plain linings are a standard 60" normally, the same width as my fabric, so the though never crossed my mind when shopping for it, but I went for a fancy herringbone weave viscose lining, which was only 52". Gah. So I made myself a slip instead. At least the colour matches perfectly.
I added a lace applique that's been sitting in a box since I unpicked it from the front of a corset a couple of years ago. I handstitched around the edge and again about half an inch in, following a line in the pattern of the lace. I then cut away the fabric from the back and whip-stitched the cut edge. Voila! Cutaway lace insert. I quick hem and elastic waist, and I have a new half-slip I can wear with other skirts too.
I'm already working on something new- a navy houndstooth pinafore dress, as well as a knit for little one. It being that time of year, I've started on Christmas makes too, some of which I'll share soon.