Monday, 7 January 2013

New fabrics for a new year

I've kicked off my sewing year with a healthy dose of new fabrics. I got some cash as gifts this Christmas, and decided to spend a good chunk of it on some new stuff for the stash. Unusually for me, I have a plan for every piece!

I've decided I need to sew some bolder colours and patterns. My sewing recently seems to have fallen into the red/black safe zone it often does, and any other colours have all been quite dark shades. Though admitttedly, I can't keep myself completely free of red, as you'll see!


4m red leopard polycotton.

This one counts as "bold pattern" even if it is a safe colour. I'm planning a shirtwaist dress with a circle skirt in this, probably the same pattern as my chambray shirt dress.


3m turquoise polkadot cotton

A brave colour for me, not one I would normally choose. I'm thinking a puff sleeved, sweetheart neckline dress in this one. Something with a more 1940s style perhaps.


3m animal print cotton

My last leopard print dress (a jersey halterneck number) was in a sorry state so got resigned to the bin at the end of summer, but I loved wearing it. This will be a different style though, another shirtwaist, this time a 1940s style with gathered shoulders and puff sleeves.


1m polkadot viscose

With this I'm planning on making my first version of the Colette Sorbetto top, with a peter pan collar in plain black.


2m deep magenta ponte roma

After making my Christmas Day dress in this fabric, I had to get some more in another colourway. This shade is just lovely- a rich purple/pink, a bit darker than the camera picked up, that will make another nice wiggle dress. I understand now why this fabric is so popular at the moment!


2m pink floral brushed cotton

Of course, I couldn't fabric shop without getting something for Little One. This will make some desperately needed pyjamas.


That should keep me busy for a good couple of months I think! My main issue now is which project to start first, but the red leopard is certainly tempting me. It would make a very nice birthday dress for the beginning of next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment