A couple of days late in posting, but here is my finished project for sew grateful week. For regular readers, this is a continuation of a theme: lingerie. I made a pair of French knickers from the free pattern provided by Vera Venus. The pattern is available in two sizes: UK 10 and 14, and she also has instructions to draft your own.
For this pair I used the size 14 pattern and added 1/2" onto each side seam to enlarge it to my usual size 16. This was the only alteration I had to make, and the pattern is very well drafted and fits well right of the bat. VV also ran a sewalong for this pattern with lots of tricks and tips. I originally planned to make these during the sewalong but they got overtaken by various other projects.
In addition to using a free pattern for this project, the fabric was gifted. It came from a huge bag full of lingerie laces and fabrics given to our mum by a friend who designed lingerie. The fabric here is a pure silk fine crepe, in cream with tiny pin dots. It was a sample length and not quite perfect- there are some areas where the print is a little light. Fortunately no-one is likely to be inspecting them so closely as to notice this! The buttons are vintage mother of pearl from my nanna's old button tin.
These knickers were made to match a slip I made some months ago. The slip was made from a modern New Look camisole top pattern which I lengthened to mid-thigh length, and cut on the bias.
One thing I took extra care with was the application of the hem lace to these two pieces. It has been first hand stitched in place along the thick outline of the shaped edge, and the fabric then cut away behind. Finally I turned the raw edges over once and whip-stitched over it. The result is a beautifully sheer scalloped hem.