Sunday, 5 May 2013

Mini MMM'13: Week 1

Along with my own outfits for Me Made May, I also intend to document what Little One wears through the month, though not with any target in mind like with my own. I haven't been sewing for her as much recently and I'd like to change that this month!

This is the first of my new makes for her: a peasant dress!

peasant dress, cotton double gauze


I used the bodice of a dress pattern that I know fits as a base and adapted it into a raglan shape and drafted a sleeve to match. The front and back are single pieces (no waist seam) in a wide A-line shape with extra width added for the gathered effect. It has elastic at the neckline, sleeve hems and at the waistline and just pulls on.

The fabric is a lovely cotton double gauze in a bright minty green with hearts. I think I got a bit of a bargain on this fabric. It was bough for a pound a metre from one of my usual places, thinking it was just a normal cotton print. It wasn't until I came to actually pin a seam together that I noticed it was double gauze! (When you shop in that particular place, you judge by the look of the thing, grab what you can and hold onto it for dear life before another fabric vulture swoops in to take it from under you: figure out what it's made from when you get home!) I think I might see if they have any left on my next trip; it's lovely stuff.

peasant dress, cotton double gauze

As you can see, someone's taken to posing for photos!


Pattern: Self-drafted peasant dress
Fabric: Cotton double gauze
Notions: About a yard of elastic, thread from stash

Total cost: About £1.20!

1 comment:

  1. Oh what a cutie! The dress is adorable, and just exactly the sort of thing I loved to wear when I was a little girl. And she *obviously* does!

    ReplyDelete