Monday, 17 June 2013

Perfect fit jeans: Another Butterick 5895

When I posted about my first incarnation of this pattern a few weeks ago, I mentioned that I had a denim pair in the works. Well, my fabric arrived and I immediately threw it in a pre-wash, and got started on them as soon as I could. And what a result!



I don't think I've been this happy with a finished garment in quite some time! I changed the front crotch curve a little taking out half an inch below the tummy to eliminate the wrinkles I noticed there, and it's made the fit as near perfect as I'm ever going to get.  I also made a couple of pattern changes for this pair. Firstly, I made the pockets to sit on the outside in a '40s/'50s style. The pattern piece for the front leg and the back part of the pocket were lined up and cut as one piece.


I used the pocket front piece to cut the pockets. I made them a little deeper on this pair: I found them a bit shallow on the pinstripe ones. I lined the pockets too, cutting the lining slightly smaller so the denim rolled to the inside a little.



I also added 5" to the length to make a wide turn-up. One important thing to remember when you do this is to NOT just add a straight extension or to continue the taper of the leg, but to reverse the tapering from the line where it will be folded up, so that the hem width matches the leg width at the point it will sit.

I added belt loops, and went mad with the topstitching. I think the detail of the stitching really makes these jeans: I did my best to keep it neat, though there are one or two wobbly lines!

I'm in love. And I've also finally found a bottom garment to pair with this blouse that I'm happy with. I've never really been all that pleased with the look of this shirt: it came out a little baggy and unflattering. The tight fitting jeans balance it out nicely, I think.


Outfit details

Jeans:

Pattern: Butterick 5895, View B

Fabric: Black denim with lycra

Notions: 8" zip, Hook and bar, thread

Worn with:

Striped blouse: Butterick 4993

Belt: New Look

Now, if only I can get rid of the hideous white marks where my washing machine vomited detergent scum onto them at last wash! 


7 comments:

  1. Great job! I also had some wrinkle problems with my Burda jeans, thanks for sharink the crotch tip, I'll keep it in mind for my next pair :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pants and great fit! I also love the fabric on your blouse :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super duper cute! What great jeans and a fabulous outfit. Hurrah for well fitting jeans.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow those are cute!!! I'm so impressed that you added belt loops and contrast stitching to make them look like jeans. Awesome job! Your pants look MUCH better than the ones featured on the pattern cover. Cute, cute, cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These pants are so awesome! I will definitely give this pattern a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are bad-ass! Love them!

    ReplyDelete