I don't think I've been this happy with a finished garment in quite some time! I changed the front crotch curve a little taking out half an inch below the tummy to eliminate the wrinkles I noticed there, and it's made the fit as near perfect as I'm ever going to get. I also made a couple of pattern changes for this pair. Firstly, I made the pockets to sit on the outside in a '40s/'50s style. The pattern piece for the front leg and the back part of the pocket were lined up and cut as one piece.
I used the pocket front piece to cut the pockets. I made them a little deeper on this pair: I found them a bit shallow on the pinstripe ones. I lined the pockets too, cutting the lining slightly smaller so the denim rolled to the inside a little.
I also added 5" to the length to make a wide turn-up. One important thing to remember when you do this is to NOT just add a straight extension or to continue the taper of the leg, but to reverse the tapering from the line where it will be folded up, so that the hem width matches the leg width at the point it will sit.
I added belt loops, and went mad with the topstitching. I think the detail of the stitching really makes these jeans: I did my best to keep it neat, though there are one or two wobbly lines!
I'm in love. And I've also finally found a bottom garment to pair with this blouse that I'm happy with. I've never really been all that pleased with the look of this shirt: it came out a little baggy and unflattering. The tight fitting jeans balance it out nicely, I think.
Pattern: Butterick 5895, View B
Fabric: Black denim with lycra
Notions: 8" zip, Hook and bar, thread
Striped blouse: Butterick 4993
Belt: New Look
Now, if only I can get rid of the hideous white marks where my washing machine vomited detergent scum onto them at last wash!